UFP The University Foundation Programme (UFP) is a full-time course, lasting one academic year, which offers students an alternative qualification for entry to UK university degree courses. Having your UFP in Abuja is a guaranteed fast track path to study in the UK. Opportunity to study in the best UK University is just a matter of your choice. With our high profile and success rate, joining us at Galaxy is indeed the right choice.
|Rufai Imran||A||Civil Eng., Leeds U., UK|
|Success Brahimoh||A||Mech. Eng., Manchester City U., UK|
|Amina Baba Ari||A||Biomedical Eng., Cardiff U., UK|
University Foundation Programme
The University Foundation Programme – UFP – is a full-time course, lasting one academic year, which offers students an alternative qualification for entry to UK university degree courses. UFP is equivalent to GCE A-Levels and International Baccalaureate – IB.
WHO IS UFP FOR?
UFP is designed for students who wish to enter a British university and do not wish to risk taking GCE A -Levels. UFP students must have finished high school. UFP offers such students a faster route into British universities than A-Levels (which normally take two years), while at the same time broadening their knowledge, developing their study skills, and providing them with a sound academic base for degree-level education.
However, we do accept students with good GCSE grades or students who have attempted A-Levels but did not achieve the grades required to enter the university course of their choice.
We also recommend UFP to students who have stopped at Certificate level or the International Baccalaureate – IB.
UFP is offered by the GALAXY in Abuja. Option for students who want to study in both London andBath is also available.
UFP is independent of any particular university, therefore UFP students are free to apply to any university of their choice.
Students who successfully complete UFP are guaranteed a place at top UK universities.
UFP offers an exceptional standard of education; consequently UFP students can easily make the transition to degree-level education.
ADVANTAGES OF UFP
- Offer your course right here in Abuja, Nigeria.
- Costs less when compared to London.
- Same curriculum and standard as in UK.
- You will be more mature before moving to the UK.
- Same certificate as in London.
- On successful completion students’ Offer letters are received and sent to them.
- Parents can monitor their children closely.
- Takes one academic year, instead of the two years required for A-Levels.
- Continuous assessment through term-by-term tests, instead of end-of-year examination pressure as with A-Levels.
- Start September or January to enter university the following September.
- Development of research and practical skills relevant to many degree courses.
UFP has two start dates per year:
- September to June
- January to August
The UFP academic year is designed to enable students commence their university degree the following September.
Students study 6 modules in total, which are spread over the duration of the course in order to provide an even workload.
3 Minor Modules in pre-determined subjects
3 Major Modules relevant to the student’s future degree programme. Students choose which three major modules they wish to study.
Pure Math and Statistics are studied in both Core and Intermediate levels based on Science and Arts courses respectively.
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (IT)
Students learn to use word processing programmes, spreadsheets and databases.
Students develop study skills (such as effective reading methods and essay-writing) and oral communication skills (such as public speaking and group discussion).
3 modules are compulsory for all students, and are studied during phase 1. The subjects have been identified as providing a fundamental background to any academic work at university level. The courses in Mathematics and IT equip the students with essential skills in numeracy and computing, while the Communication Skills/IELTS course prepares the students for the demands of a degree course by building their skills in research, report writing and presentation.
Students will also write the IELTS exam in this module.
PHASES 2 & 3
Students choose 3 major modules, which are relevant to their intended degree courses.
IELTS, the International English Language Testing System, is designed to assess the language ability of candidates who need to study or work where English is the language of communication.
IELTS is jointly managed by the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations (Cambridge ESOL), British Council and IDP: IELTS Australia. IELTS conforms to the highest international standards of language assessment. It covers the four language skills – listening, reading, writing and speaking
IELTS is recognized by universities and employers in many countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA. It is also recognized by professional bodies, immigration authorities and other government agencies.
HOW TO PREPARE FOR THE TEST?
Prepare thoroughly for the test
At the Galaxy candidates are given Official IELTS Practice Materials pack under the supervision of seasoned academics, this includes a full practice test with an answer key and a CD of the Listening test and sample Speaking tests, so that candidates can get some idea of their level and familiarize themselves with the format of the test.
The IGCSE is an abbreviation for International General Certificate of Secondary Education, it is an internationally recognized qualification for school students, typically in the 14–16 age group. It is organized by University of Cambridge International Examinations. Most standard schools in Nigeria do encourage the 11th and 12th grade students to write this exam. The exam comes up twice in a year May/June and Oct/Nov.
- It is an international academic qualification.
- With proper preparation students can excel
- Assessment is subject based
- It has 7 point grading system (Extended Courses).
- A worldwide-acknowledged high school result.
HOW TO PREPARE FOR IGCSE
- Study hard and note clearly that the IGCSE question and answer approach is quite different from the conventional
- WAEC/NECO/NABTEB approach.
- Consult IGCSE specialized teachers not WAEC/NECO general tutors.
- Taking notes of the addendum to the curriculum prescribed.
- Get enough past questions and the official marking scheme to practice with.
- Enrolling with us at Galaxy is a path towards success.